1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Elemental Features

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Goomba, Mar 16, 2016.

?

What would you go for?

1. Fire Tree: Burn your opponents to a crisp

14.3%
  2. Grass Tree: Nature crafted weapons fueled by the sun

14.3%
  3. Water Tree: Aqueous weapons can hurt too

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Elec Tree: A surge of cutting edge technology

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Earth Tree: You love tampering with the ground

14.3%
  6. Artillery Tree: Guns and air support are your friends

42.9%
  7. Wild Tree: Jungle creatures rock the battlefield

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Space Tree: Extraterrestrial weaponry from outer space

14.3%
  9. Explosives Tree: You just love making things explode

28.6%
  10. Gimmick Tree: You prefer the abnormal weapons

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Goomba

Goomba Sergeant First Class (9) Member

It should be said that this is probably highly unlikely to ever make it to the game, it needs a lot of work, and would change core gameplay. I'd imagine a lot of people may disagree with it, but it is all entirely optional if it makes it into the game.

I recently saw @Penguin 's thread on Elemental Aspects in game, and it completely intrigued me. The game has a lot of potential for it with so many different weapons. I asked Penguin if I could make a reworked thread of his idea and he agreed, so here it is:

I like the ideas of different elements overall, but to avoid things being confusing to new players (not to mention it would be a hell of a lot to add to the game) I discarded the weakness/strength system where some tanks get buffs against certain types. This is too much work and would need too much balance, it takes from the core gameplay, and could be confusing to some players.

Instead, I proposed that there are 11 types (for now): Fire, Grass, Water, Electricity, Artillery, Earth, Wild, Space, Explosive, Normal, and Gimmick.

Before each game starts, you can choose a type that you'd like or you can choose a random type. Once you choose a type, you may choose one unlocked ability you have. Having more luck upgrades increases the likelihood of you getting matching weapons corresponding to the type that you picked.
    During a game, each tank may have ONE ability. Some abilities last the entire game, can be used once, are used automatically, etc.
    This requires you to think carefully about who you're playing against or what you are going for each game.

Now what are these abilities? I took some time brainstorming things called abilities. They are small perks given to tanks who use certain elements extensively. Each type has three abilities unlocked by meeting these criteria:
    Experience: Gain 500,000 total XP with certain elemental weapons
    Skill: Earn 500 skillshots with certain elemental weapons
    Genocide: Get 250 kills with certain elemental weapons
    Once you complete any of those, you will unlock an ability for the respective tree it was for.

The results portion for this would look similar to this:
    elementtree.jpg
    There are a lot of abilities as you can expect. I will not go into detail here with all the abilities, but here is a list of what each of them are:
    ElementalTrees.png
    ElementalTrees2.png

If you're really curious as to what each ability does, I have a Google Docs for that (of course).
    Shellshock Live Element List

Anyway, that's pretty much it, tell me what you think. I did all of this work in about two days, I doubt it will ever make it to the game, but hey, it was fun to make!

2. Taylor

Taylor Brigadier General (21) Former Moderator

Wonderful explanations and visuals Goomba.

I like how each have a tier and you can progressively level onto the next with gained experience.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  3. xXTacocubesXx

xXTacocubesXx Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

To be honest, I'd love to have this kind of thing in this game very much.

Taylor likes this.
  4. Goomba

Goomba Sergeant First Class (9) Member

Just finished up the descriptions for each of the Abilities. You can vote safely now, tell me if any of them need adjustments or balance

Taylor likes this.
  5. Penguin

Penguin Captain (17) Member

plz can someone tell to kyle to see that thread?i think he must do it for 2 reasons
    1:when ssl steam was on green ligth it was said that there would have been elemntal weaps
    2:thats a really cool thread and i can see that very much people likes it so,if this forum have a really really really really low chance to be usefull for the SSL game things in game kyle check this thread out

ps:what about making holy water regenerating health to you or your allies when you shot it?for example if i shot sprinkler to my friend every hit that would make dmg heal him?that would make more sense to the"holy"

another skill idea: for grass type: ecological enegry,2 uses.When you use that your fuel will make you travel x1,5 than what it would normaly.