1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Complaints About Skirmish Mode

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by referee11, Sep 9, 2015.

1. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

As we know, Skirmish is a new mode in this game. There seems to be a lot of positive stuff going around, but no negative. I have some negative stuff about Skirmish which can be presented as so:
    1) Skirmish might lower the amount of games and the people in them even more. If all games are full and no one is on, someone might want to go into Skirmish to practice. If this continues long enough, a very high amount of people will be in Skirmish, thinking no one is on. Meanwhile, there will be less games which actually give you XP. My solution to this would be to put a blue "S" in the lobby next to someone who is in Skirmish. From there, someone could contact them via Steam, and then it would be easier to get them in a game. However, there, at this date, is no way to tell who is in Skirmish, which might cause confusion. Also, I'm not saying it absolutely will every single day, but there might be some days when this happens.
    2) There are no XP gains. Yeah, yeah, by the looks of it, I look like a greedy shlub who wants to gain high amounts of XP by playing weak AIs. This isn't the case. There should be a range where you can get XP, ideally anywhere from 0-25 max. That's all you need, and you could even bump 25 down farther to more like 5 or 10 xp; it was just an example. If you fail to reach the amount of xp which is the maximum, you receive the XP you did earn that round. If you miss all of your shots but one Shot, you get 1 XP plus the post-game bonuses until you reach the max XP (if you do). As for weapons, I suggest they get 1/5 of their normal XP gain from getting a hit. If you deal 100 with Pyrotechnics, you get 20. Simple, yet reasonable.
    3) The AIs need to gain more IQ points. Seriously, they still shot themselves sometimes if you even make small holes. This applies with missions too, but if you want to practice shooting in Skirmish, this can really be annoying.
    4) Missions/Firing Range do the job of it. Seriously, why did he put this in when there are already missions like this? If you want to practice shooting, go to the Firing Range. If you want to have a giant 8 player Skirmish match in Team mode, go Chaos. I really don't see the point. I mean, you CAN practice Assassin, Points, and Juggernaut on them, but they miss so often you will win every time. Even the 100s miss all of the time. I won a whole 30 turn game without being hit once against a level 100. While that can be placed solely on the AI, I don't think it should. Skirmish just can't simulate a normal game, period. Adding normal game-like features doesn't hide the AI's inability to hit you.
    5) It really is only beneficial if you want to find out what modes are without joining high level competition. That kinda bums me out a little. You might be able to sneak in some achievements through it (untested by me), but other than that, you might as well play Chaos. Right now, Chaos is as good as this.

Though I am certain I will draw a lot of negative discontent with this, I do want to get this out there. Maybe this can help make the mode better. It certainly can't hurt right now while the game is hanging in limbo.

2. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

There is nothing majorly wrong with skirmish mode and it's a pretty good update as this is a totally new thing for SSL. Lot's of people (including myself) wanted this mode so that you have something to play when nobody else is on. Firing range is good for when you really wanna test stuff out, and Chaos is too specific while skirmish you can make it for any scenario. It should also be noted that missions also do not reward you any xp the 2nd time you play them so that would kind of be a wast to have lol.

The xp amount is currently set to a 0x multiplier meaning it could change, but that's really up for debate. Some people don't wanna see people abusing the system to get a very high level by only farming bots, and some people want to earn xp from bots when there is nobody around their level on. A few ways to go about this, but that's for a later time (and since this is a beta beta feature it wouldn't be fair for those who don't have early adopter status since they can't earn xp)

Overall it's not perfect, but it's there and it can definitely be tweaked in the future! But at least right now it's a pretty great start. The only major bug that came from this update has nothing to do with skirmish at all, however it's doing something to stop us from playing then kicking us after a bit because we skipped too many turns. I hope that get's fixed soon!

Taylor and RumMumMario like this.
  3. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

Pretty much.

As of the XP, considering the tanks move, at least x0.5 XP multiplier should be added since it's virtually impossible to exploit against an AI that moves and uses items.

Taylor, Penguin and Holy2334 like this.
  4. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

Fixed. I wouldn't say it's impossible that they can't be exploited however I kind of have an idea on how it aims currently (at least at it's max level). You can also turn off items which eliminates that problem and they don't move far so it's very easy to use that to your advantage. :)

5. Gilligan

Gilligan New Born (1) Member

One benefit of skirmish mode is you get to keep all of the gears that spawn during a match, while (if I remember correctly) gears don't even spawn in missions. (Correct me if I'm wrong though; haven't played a mission in a while)

referee11 and Holy2334 like this.
  6. Penguin

Penguin Captain (17) Member

i'm agree about the S button in lobby cause the only Bad that skirmish mode can do is to make people don't play in multiplayer.Adding something like 0,5 xp mult and the S button would be fine i suppose cause people would still prefer playing multiplayer and can notice if there are game avaible (that would make also this mode usefull seriously who would play this with 0 xp? like rum say 0,5 xp would be fine)

7. Mr Synikal

Mr Synikal Sergeant Major (12) Member

We need modes that bring us together rather than divide us like a single player mode. The clan / tournament system would help with that keeping us still interested while Kyle does his other updates.

SubZero likes this.
  8. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

Clan and tourneys are definitely good ideas. I'm not against them at all. But I think we should hold off a bit and let the clans stay casual as it is now (or perhaps a little more enhancement) until more players start playing the game. I feel like the game is way too empty for clans and tourneys to function the way it is supposed to.

I say kChamp should focus on improving the game play and also try to share and advertise the game as much as possible. Those things should be done last where there is big enough player base and will also give it a good smooth start.

Though I think the Skirmish mode with tiny bits of XP reward is enough for single player. Anything higher and/or rewarding will be no good.

Holy2334 likes this.
  9. Mr Synikal

Mr Synikal Sergeant Major (12) Member

The idea of implementing the clan/tournament system was a thought of keeping us playing together, still holding interest and not end up being divided because players being drawn away to play single player modes. The tourney system is not necessarily needed immediately, but, I'm hoping that single player modes won't be a deterrent with keeping the game active and us still playing together. The game is still somewhat dead in this 6 month early access phase and I'd hate to see it get worse.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    SubZero likes this.
  10. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

It doesn't award XP ever right now. What is the difference?
    Exactly; I'm one of those people. The past three days, I have made a lobby and waited exactly 30 minutes. People joined: 1, but left instantly. If that is just gonna keep happening, of course I would want to use the bots for some XP. In this state, I can't gain anything right now.
    Are the missions not as good? I have figured out that you can gain achievements from both Skirmish AND missions, but you can get more with Skirmish, as well as gears. Other than that, it is more fun to play in a type of game which rarely occurs than a traditional game. That's me, anyways.
    Why are we putting this on hold? If it is a worthwhile thing which requires some tinkering, why are we putting off fixing it up? It won't be like when other new people join they won't gain the same benefits. In the future, when multiplayer dies (because it will; there is no way it won't and no argument can really go against that), Skirmish will be the only thing really left. If you want this game to have longevity, it is by adding some sort of XP barrier or limit. Rumz's idea would work OK, but I think it would be better to have a flat rate, rather than a reduced bonus multiplier.
    I wouldn't say that, I'd call it slightly better than dismal. It has some potential, but I doubt kChamp will tweak it for a while, nor will he find this thread and what we are saying now. I think it it will be like Assassin and Juggernaut, specifically: Unbalanced and unfair.

In the end, I think this is the worst update SSLS has had since adding in the trading cards. Unless something big happens and this actually does turn alright, it will always be worse than Assassin and Juggernaut in my book.