1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Stop The Ruler Hate

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by Ace, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace New Born (1) Member

i'm making this thread more for personal reasons. so recently it's become a bigger and bigger problem that some players are using rulers. it's become so big that the problem is even outgrowing itself. what i mean is that it's obvious to me that for many players it's not just about using a ruler being a bad thing anymore.

this paragraph will be a bit of a story. i've never used a "ruler" while playing this game. i bought this game not too long after it was released. back when there was barely anyone to even play with. most of the times i would come online and i just couldn't play at all because of this. at that time i got to like lvl 22-28 (can't remember the exact lvl). then i stopped playing for many months, came back and i was like lvl 48 (obviously due to exp modifications). from then i mostly did single shot rebound matches to lvl 69. after that i wasn't too intense about lvling anymore. not intense enough to sit through many more single shot rebound anyway. for the past 4 months i haven't been playing as much as before. in that time i'd take up to a few weeks off from playing. these days most of the matches i play are marksman, because when i play i like to multitask in-between turns. it's a very fun game mode for me because it's not just about who has the highest stats.

even so, i am getting caught up in ruler hatred. not too long ago i was in a match with two others in particular. these guys were toxic and started accusing me of using ruler. they put such hatred on me for something i don't do. they have even asked me if i use ruler and i told them no. then one of them even talked about reporting me for using ruler. they were talking about videos like ssundee and other people using rulers and they are making it my problem. why treat me like a piece of shit just because of these videos?
    then a while after that i am seeing a player i don't know join my marksman lobby and start telling everyone i use ruler.

i took this ss from in-game because i was having trouble scrolling up the chat from the lobby, but they typed these things in lobby. i saw their names just before they left. the first guy i had no idea who he was. the second guy i was in a marksman with earlier in the day.
    [​IMG]

why is the ruler hate becoming a cancer that i can play casual marksman matches and this happens to me? also, i pretty much always have atmospheric nudge on in my rooms even though i haven't seen it in action yet (does it work?). my point is do not be like this because of rulers. using ruler is a problem. ruler problem itself becomes a problem when this shit happens.

because you might ask for it, discuss below ways to stop players from using rulers and how to stop the problem from becoming a problem.

2. MythicalRainbowPumpkins

MythicalRainbowPumpkins Unconfirmed Member

You cant stop people from being this way. Players often try to make an excuse up for getting there arses kicked and in this case they are blaming you for using ruler. When this happens to me (which it has) i often just ignore the people or i just mute them. It must show that you have very good accuracy or they wouldn't be accusing you of using a ruler, so on the other hand they are sort of complimenting you XD.

Taylor likes this.
  3. Tavi

Tavi First Sergeant (11) Member

There's just a lot of toxic people in ssl. Kinda forced to ignore them or mute, ain't much we can do. I mean, have you looked at lobby chat? xD
    Though I do see where you're coming from. Even just recently Jahova(youtuber) got a bit po'd at a normal player in a vid cause he suspected the player of using a ruler with an easy, high-angle shot.
    Ruler users are sht, but abusing/bullying random people just because you suspect them is awful too, worse even.

4. xXTacocubesXx

xXTacocubesXx Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

The way I see it is that they're spending that time accusing others of cheating when they could be spending it looking up guides on Steam/SSL forums/Reddit/YouTube on how to legitimately get better at this game. Not all of them, that's just a generalization. Chances are, the "cheater" is merely using a simple trick they learned from somewhere or someone.

5. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

Honestly there will never be a multiplayer game on Steam without toxic community at this point, especially because majority of these players are coming from the YouTube community - they literally made Steam for the sake of this game - which makes matters even worse. I have several online games and their community makes SSLS people cute, people out there say things that are far worse. CS:GO for example, probably has the worst community along with Call of Duty and whatnot. People will not only accuse you for hacking for every single kill you get, but will literally threaten your life and scream the worst thing they can ever say on the microphone. Valve made mics enabled for teammates only later though so that's good.

If you can't handle the bad side of the community in an online game then you shouldn't play it. We should be very grateful that this game was very fortunate enough to get noticed by YouTubers, bringing in hundreds of players, now it's actually playable. Big changes come with big drawbacks, it's inevitable.
    Another little thing is that these people are not burping out the word 'cheater' because they're mad. It's like a little meme and they're not serious about it. Treat it like a joke, it's like when your friend gets an A+ on a test and you call him a cheating ass nerd or whatever. (I made that example before :)) Just have fun with them when they say it, it really isn't anything serious. This for example is obviously a funny guy dicking around in some game. It really is nothing serious.

6. xXTacocubesXx

xXTacocubesXx Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

All of this true. Although I can mostly tell when a person is being serious or just joking when it comes to calling others hackers. In fact, in lighthearted situations, I sometimes like to call someone a hacker if they hit an impressive shot, and they understand it's a joke.

7. Tavi

Tavi First Sergeant (11) Member

Hacker kappa

xXTacocubesXx likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace New Born (1) Member

lol okay here is something funny that just happened that relates to this topic. so i was looking around for rooms to join. joined a few and things didn't go so well. either players would just randomly leave and the room would die, or no one else would join at all. i was left with the option to join a low level 8 player team deathmatch lobby.

the players were like lvl 20-65 or something. i forget, but the host was lvl 50. i'm lvl 85, so i was the only one high lvl and golden level plate, and for the record, i didn't know any of the players there. i was like the 7th player to join, but the room filled just after i joined. then the host un-checked his ready status, paused for like 10 seconds and started to say shit like "someone here is different from the rest of us". he pauses again and is like "someone here uses ruler". obviously i know he is talking about me. though i figured if he'd automatically assume i use ruler simply because i'm lvl 85, he wouldn't care for what i had to say, so i decided to joke around. i was like "is it you?". got some laughs. then the host is like "this person will be kicked". at this point, the host is the only one in the room not ready. i saw the host kick timer and it was like 15 seconds. so i typed "okay just give me 10 seconds". now it's like 7 seconds. he typed "no". few seconds later it's too late. he's kicked. LOOOOOL

a lot of other folks in the room understood and we got even more laughs. unfortunately the room died due to players leaving.

[​IMG]

Soundless and xXTacocubesXx like this.
  9. Soundless

Soundless Corporal (5) Member

You just earned my respect. The guy got what he deserved xD

10. Staple

Staple General of the Army (25) Member

lol n1, u sure showed him! XD

11. RobotR257X

RobotR257X Staff Sergeant (8) Member

Psh, whats a ruler, I am natural born SS2 and SSL arch aiming player.

12. faaarkwit

faaarkwit Staff Sergeant (8) Member

This game, like so many other things, would be so much more pleasent experience without people.