1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

[S] New weapon system ideas. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by kChamp, May 9, 2015.

?

What do you think of the new system I described?

1. Good

59.5%
  2. Bad

40.5%
  1. kChamp

kChamp Developer Developer

So the current weapon system is unbalanced. A higher level player with upgraded weapons will complete annihilate a new player. I propose a change to a new method. Instead of being able to choose the weapon level you shoot, you're given specific levels. For example, you may get one splitter and one double-splitter instead of getting two of your choice splitter. This is similar to the way things worked in SSL2.

Weapons will still be upgraded the same way, and you must upgrade a weapon to have a chance of getting the upgraded version. This would also allow the 'Luck' attribute to skew your chances of getting upgraded weapons.

What are you thoughts on this system? I think it would create more variety and also make high vs low level players matches more balanced.

If we do move to this system, would you rather each weapon have their own tile, or would you rather a single tile for the same type weapons and choose with the tabs?

2. Amaterasu

Amaterasu Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I prefer each weapon set have it's own tab.

I believe the luck idea is also a good idea, as it allows that set in the skill tree to become more useful.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    Batgirl likes this.
  3. Nightwing

Nightwing Staff Sergeant (8) Member

Its awesome and this was the biggest leap in the right direction the game has taken so far. Good job kyle and keep it up! ^-^

Batgirl and Towel like this.
  4. Towel

Towel look mom i have a custom title Former Moderator

Probably the best and easiest option for narrowing the gap between the highs and the lows. Separate tiles for each tier is the best way to go. Also great to see luck getting some love :')

5. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

I agree with this. :)

6. Batgirl

Batgirl Lieutenant Colonel (19) Member

Should we use the currency system and/or level based to level up weapons

7. Credipede

Credipede Forum Administrator Administrator

Awesome idea, reminds me of SSL2, which is great.
    I like the tabs, they're organized and they save space.

Taylor and Amaterasu like this.
  8. Dryykon

Dryykon Second Lieutenant (15) Member

I believe a single tile system would be superior. Because...
    • New players will understand weapon selection easier
    • Additional edits to the system will be easier

Towel likes this.
  9. JohannZim

JohannZim Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

I think the gap between lvls are suposed to be there. Thats why putting the difference lvl requirement on rooms was a great idea. You are making this new option less needed and I totally disagree with this... i hate when a game is more lucky based also :( (unless you put the luck side of the skill tree to direct influenciate on the quality of weapons you get... than it would be not such a bad idea).

I prefer the weapons on tabs as it is now.

Regardless of the bad idea (if luck does not influenciate), i'll just accept this new change that kinda push the game back to its older version (which is a bad thing), and just leave my contribution.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    Taylor and arvidh like this.
  10. LIGHTNING

LIGHTNING Corporal (5) Member

I think there are better, more creative options out there. Nevertheless, this will work nicely for now. :) I don't hate it!

Taylor likes this.
  11. Taylor

Taylor Brigadier General (21) Former Moderator

I agree with this. I don't see a reason to edit it. I mean do we really want this to be a flashy version of ssl2? You put in the time you reap the rewards. People already got their xp decrease so be happy. I think there are other way to go about this then everyone jumping on a perceived fix that is only an idea. I back you bro.

JohannZim and Penguin like this.
  12. Penguin

Penguin Captain (17) Member

no please!!!!!!! it s different of ssl2 beacause in ssl2 there was weapons that did very much dmg,in steam also maxed ones are not great,at least in ssl2 there was many weapons that did 150 + here you can t do the same thing.i ll stop to play if you change this weapon system.i know you don t care about that but it s my opinion and i ll stop to play if you do that.....

13. Mallard King

Mallard King Corporal (5) Member

The problem is though with the community being as small as it is right now with the most active people being the higher leveled players lower levels often have no choice but to play the higher levels and get absolutely destroyed for what little xp they are able to get or wait long periods of time for someone their level to play them maybe once, which in turn causes them to drop the game and higher levels end up dropping the game because they don't have anyone to play anymore. This has happened already, before the whole xp update there was next to nobody playing due to those reasons. If the population of the game was comparable to ssl2 there would be no problem but that's currently not the case right now. Also another problem is the lack of variety in gameplay, right now there is 200+ weapons ingame but we only use 50 or so right now due to the fact that we will always use the most powerful version of a weapon and never think about the previous tiers again except for a very small amount of weapons. There will be many opportunity's to make the game different from ssl2 during the beta process and changing the weapon system will not automatically make it a ssl2 reboot.

Batgirl and arvidh like this.
  14. arvidh

arvidh Unconfirmed Member

Even though I'm partially against it, you sir, deserve my like. Well said!

15. RumMumMario

You know what, just create a game setting: WEAPONS: random or standard (current)

The problem with the tab system is that weapons are spinned-off way too many times, majority have no potential so everyone uses the best one. Say there is a Digger and MegaDigger, obviously you'd go for Mega, right?

So Instead of making it 'upgrade-based', I suggest you to give each weapon in each tier more potential and variety. Tunneler tier is a perfect example for this. These weapons don't do the same damage and depending on situation, one can deal more than the other, making people use prev. tier as well.

This would be the perfect solution and adds more fun to the game instead of just shoot and kill.

Holy2334, 49erfan7 and Batgirl like this.
  16. astrofluxy

astrofluxy Corporal (5) Member

Sorry, but this is totally screwed up. I think the most of us work hard to get upgraded version of the weapons, and of course this MAY be OP for the lower levels. But its not the weapon that determines the damage, its the skill the high level earned. as example: a newbie and a high level would have one weapon, lets pick skeet as example. A newbie would simply use it like a shot, try to hit the enemy. the high level would use any possibility to increase the overall damage, like using bounce lines, edges of the map, wormholes etc. Now the weapon is OP because a low level cant use it.

I haven't experienced any problems with the balance. im still 1/5 of the highest level and i really win lot of matches due to tactical playing. Enemy using a nuke? okay, but who says that i cant win this match anyways? I love the current weapon system because its unique, and i think this is one of the only reasons why i bought this game... if we change this again, then i can go back to SSL2 and buy all other weapon packs, then i have all weapons too. Please dont begin killing the game again just as the other tons of games did.

so no, im against this idea, completely, definitely.

Taylor, Penguin and rb ahole like this.
  17. JohannZim

JohannZim Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

This problem is temporary... when official release gets out and some real advertisement happens the number of players will grow. Than the lvl difference set in rooms will work just fine... better than change all the game system and deal with the possibility of a very bad experience in gameplay.

The only advantage i see from this change would be the fact that all weps would be usable (instead of some weapons being completely abandoned after you lvl them) but i repeat... having a big luck based game is not a good thing... so the luck side of the skill tree would have to work VERY well in this to make it not so bad... and than the higher lvls (with a complete skill tree) would still have a massive advantage over the smaller ones... so i dont see this making much difference in this matter anyway.

Taylor likes this.
  18. Towel

The goal isn't to make lows and highs completely evenly matched, the goal is to give low players a fighting chance so time spent playing against a high isn't completely gone to waste. Since you are given XP based on how "well" you do against an opponent, having a low level only do ~200 some damage before being killed gives little to no reward for those just starting out. Making it so they at least have a chance helps give low levels that small boost when just starting out, as they'll have more turns to tack on damage and thus gain more experience.

19. astrofluxy

astrofluxy Corporal (5) Member

Thats what MMO Games are up to. There will always be someone who is better than you, there will always be someone with better equipment, there will always be someone who can kill you with ease. Now you want to punish him for his time spend? Punish him for his skill built up? I think you understand what i am up to. It makes no sense to give the newbies (Thats what the name says, NEW) the chance to beat a level 80 just as a level 80 can kill a level 1. When i go to any new club, lets say football, and i have no experience about football, will my opponents be capped too? can they only use these skills which i do have too? No, they still play like pros, obviously i have no chance, but thats okay, because i will always improve. Every game has this "problem" (it isn't even a problem, its just obvious and everyone should deal with it if he starts playing MMO's). Just keep it as it is, im happy that i have my first some weapons leveled up and now you want to make it luck based... well then, then you can also give me all weapon level ups, because its luck based anyways.

However, what will this change? Then everyone skills luck up, still enough points for Damage and Armor, some for traction/Engines. Even if we would do this, the CHANCE that a high level gets his mega nuke is there, so it doesnt change the chance for the low levels. It just makes the game more complicated. Example:

Im level 80 and have nearly every weapon at full upgrade. Now i join a match with ~2 low levels. All these low levels have level 1 weapons, while i have level 2, 3 and 4 weapons. Their weapon level doesnt change, mine neither, so i can still use splitter chain if i have it and deal immense damage, the chance for the low levels stays the same. tl:dr, this update WOULD make no difference except for more restrictions. Kyle, If you have ever played SSL2 you would know that i have no chance against high levels too, right? as i said, they always have better weapons than me, and this wouldn't change it at all, it just RESTRICTS the player even more, more complication, less fun and less variation. I think everyone whould like to know how nice super skeet is, but when he doesn't get it? Yeah... wait for it, it will come in time, even if you already have it.

Think about it, it simply makes no sense at all, and the only thing you do is restricting the players and fun. Nuff said
    regards ~

PS: No im not level 80, it was just an example

Taylor likes this.
  20. Towel

This change in no way puts lows at the same power level as highs. High leveled players will still have all their upgrade tokens equipped, they wouldn't have worked hard towards nothing. But diluting the weapon pool makes it so that these high leveled players aren't objectively better than the lows in every aspect of the game. The odds of a low winning against a high with this change is still low, but it definitely does give them more time to accumulate damage to level up.

Besides, what's wrong with separating weapons? It adds more variety to the game, so you'll no longer be using the same weapons over and over again.

And quit saying "people should just play against people their own level range". In such a small community, something like that is almost impossible unless you get a bunch of friends to buy and play the game around the same time. There's no even any sort of promise that the game would grow to a size to support that anyways. And what if a high leveled player wants to play with a low leveled friend? The gap is so far that it's impossible to have that sort of fun. I would know, I played with some newbie friends when I was just level 20 and the game was far from fair or fun.

Don't freak out like this is the end of the world just because you'll be slightly less powerful than you are right now. You would still have your OP weapons, you just wouldn't be able to use them every single turn. So what?

Amaterasu likes this.
  21. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I agree with Rum's idea. Why not have both options? I wouldn't call the weapon setting "random" but I would call it "classic" since that is an older style that we are used to.

22. Nightwing

Nightwing Staff Sergeant (8) Member

Honestly thats kinda of obvious. But until official release people are gonna have to stop whining and play the game the way ti is right now. Know matter what happens before official release there will still be a level gap and either the lower ones will complain or the higher ones will complain. Its important to look at it from an unbiased view and realize that this is pretty much how its gonna be until official release and the community grows significantly.

23. RumMumMario

I wonder how many times we said "Beta is meant to receive complaints and criticism".

It's actually a good thing because us whining about the game means that we care and don't want Kyle to fail.

astrofluxy likes this.
  24. kChamp

kChamp Developer Developer

I read and appreciate all the feedback and opinions. I'm going to push an update with the new system activated. I think it will be a positive change to the game and add more variety to gameplay.

If it doesn't end up working out, we can always switch back to the old system.

25. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

30 mins later. It's already updated. I'm impressed on the quick changes that happen right after you say them.