1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Going 3D

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by Fingers23, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Fingers23

Fingers23 New Born (1) Member

I was doing a bit of modeling in Blender the other day after finishing another play session of SteamShock, and I had a thought: What if there were a 3D version? Part of me feels like this has been asked before, but since a Google and forum search have yielded nothing on the matter, I'll ask here:

What's your opinion on a 3-dimensional installment of ShellShock Live?

Obviously the pace and styles of gameplay would change, more than a few people would have a hard time adjusting at first, and of course there's the dreaded 'paywall' that kept SteamShock from taking off in the beginning. Add in (or attempt to) the current field gimmicks like portals and blackholes and you lower the odds of people playing/liking the game even further.

Despite this, I would still play it. At the very least, I would give it a chance. There have been plenty of good artillery games in the past that were 3D; Cannonballs and Worms3D to name a couple. From them, we know that the game would be possible and playable. A long list of things would need to be tweaked and changed, or removed outright, but that's just how it goes I guess; we know several things were changed or removed in the jump between SSL1 to SSL2, and more between SSL2 to SteamShock. Several other things might not be possible depending on how the development is executed, for example driving onto the side of a hill and stabbing someone on the other side with Sword. That's just my thinking though.

2. The Wizard

The Wizard Staff Sergeant (8) Member

It would remove SSL essence. Perhaps 3D would be much harder

3. Tavi

Tavi First Sergeant (11) Member

I thought about this concept quite a bit years ago, way back in SSL2 days. Idea I enjoyed most then was a Tank Ball 2 (MaidMarian) style game but turn-based with Shellshock's weapons.

Though this new idea comes to mind now: Not turn-based, with similar system to Overwatch/Paladins or TF2 (Large cast of characters/Tanks with separate arsenals/unlockables, skill/weapon cooldown and 'Prestige' ultimates).
    Think of jetpack mobility or medkit healing as skills with recharge.
    Imagine a Tracer-esque tank with Stream/Uzi or something else quick firing as a primary weapon, a Pyro-esque tank with Flame and a Pyrotechnics ult, or a Soldier tank with some form of military loadout (M16/Grenade/Airstike etc)

Ofc this is just an idea, but it has come to mind before. (If there's already a game pretty similar to what I described, link me plz <3 )

4. Fingers23

What you describe sounds a lot like World of Tanks:p

My rendition of it would just be ShellShock Live, as it is now and has been, but made 3D. Seems simple enough to model and code everything. To be perfectly honest I could make it; the only issue I foresee having are the portals but meh.... I made a couple of models of a tank and a flying crate in my free time for fun. Might post screens of them after I put some decent textures on them.

LIGHTNING likes this.
  5. LIGHTNING

LIGHTNING Corporal (5) Member

I am game! There is already a VR game that feels kind of like that... But the things is, SSL has its csrtoony weapons and so many of them... World of Tanks is too realistic, it just isn't as fun. SSL taken as it is now and then adding 3D would be really fun as long as it kept the same core it has currently. Blue ground red tanks and a nuke that looks like a pancake. Anything too realistic and you lose the charm.

6. LIGHTNING

If you do let me know. Also the portals would be more like orange and blue energy sphears floating in the air, but what might work better is having them placed on the ground. You could potentially also drive though them then.

7. LIGHTNING

It isn't a bad game you're describin, but it wouldn't be shellshock anymore when you think about it.

8. Fingers23

I was talking to my buddies about this again, and we got onto the subject of making this a thing, but of course I can't just take kChamp's title and put it out as my own. I could probably put out a spinoff game and it be alright. Change the names, the textures, some of the weapons, etc... Just thinking now, I bet it would be neat to actually work with him on the real thing. SteamShock is made with Unity after all, which is the software I normally use.
    ...Wut?
    Serious now, I would imagine the shot would look something akin to a mini-nuke from Fallout; the bomb body with the square fins and such.
    Gives me an idea to have two different kinds of portals: the spherical type you describe, and the traditional flat-facing type. I think I read somewhere that Unity's pro version or whatever it's called has a thing where you can display a camera's viewpoint onto another object, i.e the destination of the portal (as with the real Portal series). I don't think being able to drive through them would be good, though.

LIGHTNING likes this.
  9. LIGHTNING

Oh the pancake nuke was a reference to how they appear in shellshock live... x] Not sure what people would say to their newly unlocked nuke being bundled with maple syrup...

If you do end up making this I would love to follow it. I'd love to help as well but I am not sure if you would be open to that. It really would be fun though, adding a new addition to the turn based classics with a fan made spinoff. Again, the only thing I've seen that was close to this was a VR game, and it wasn't turn based. Also it only had about half a dozen weapons as uposed to hundreds x]

Promise me this though, if you make this game please please do not forsake your forums ;)

10. Raevoali

Raevoali steamcommunity.com/id/Aevoa Former Moderator

This is like trying to make a sonic game 3D. The game mechanics of ssl cater to 2D and would become cumbersome as 3D. Yes, you may be able to pull it off. But why? The novelty of 3D would wear off quickly and what would going 3D accomplish in the way of fun that 2D doesn't?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017